Close
  • 912

    The River Duero basin was resettled. Some settlers built a church in honour of St. Cecilia opposite the town of Valbuena de Duero within the Alfoz de Peñafiel rural territory.

  • 1477

    Peñafiel and the Valbuena Monastery fought over the estate, along with its village, for over three years. It was in 1477 when the monks and the council would reach an agreement. The latter would have the jurisdiction and the arable land (sowing cereals) and the monks would have the forest cover (timber, hunting and grazing)

  • 1577

    The name Vega de Sicilia appeared for the first time in 1577 to refer to the estate.

  • 1864

    After Toribio Lecanda bought the estate from the Marquis of Valbuena in 1848, his son, Eloy Lecanda, started to professionally make wine at the winery.

  • 1882

    The production facilities were completed and today they are offices and ageing warehouses. Eloy Lecanda received numerous awards for the wines produced at Vega Sicilia.

  • 1888

    The estate did not thrive due to Eloy's lack of ability as a trader and manager and it was sold to Pascual Herrero Bux, who would own it for less than 10 years.

  • 1897

    The property was bought at auction by Antonio Herrero Vázquez, who was not a relative of the previous owner. Just a few years later, three of his eight children (Luis, Félix and Ignacio) would inherit it and it would later be passed to Félix's children. The estate, winery and wines prospered greatly during these three generations.

  • 1907

    Cosme Palacio, from La Rioja and who was the tenant of the estate and winery with the Herreros, brought Txomin Garramiola to be in charge of the wine production. Those wines would offset the damage caused by the phylloxera in La Rioja.

  • 1950

    Prodes, the seed company, bought the estate from the Herrero family. The company Bodegas Vega Sicilia S.A. was set up at this time and another of the most important figures in the history of the winery, Jesús Anadón, would emerge.

  • 1965

    The estate was sold to Hans Neuman, a Venezuelan from a Czech-Jewish family and living in Venezuela, who decided to buy the winery after he had tasted the wines in New York.

  • 1982

    The Álvarez family bought the winery from the Neumanns and this marked the start of one of the most prosperous periods in the history of the company.

  • 2014

    Coinciding with the 150th anniversary, the most important modernisation of the vineyard and winery were completed.

Back to one's roots


BRVS is the joint vision that two great names of the wine world, Rothschild and Vega Sicilia, have of La Rioja. It is the combination of sun, earth, water and man in search for an inimitable style that brings together tradition and the avant-garde.

More
Close
Close
Sales Folder